Thursday 30 September 1993

MGB Front End In


One weekend home from school I picked up all the parts for the front end and started putting it back together. I cleaned and painted all the front end parts individually, including sandblasting and painting the 1969 cross member. I rented a spring compressor from the local auto parts store and put the springs back in. Once the cross member was rebuilt, I put it back in the car.

Things were running smoothly, until I determined the steering column was too long! Because I was fitting the car with a 1969 front end cross member to lower the car ride height, the steering column would no longer fit. Another delay. I managed to take apart the steering assembly before I had to head back to school.

Pops took the steering column into the local machine shop for me, with the new dimensions. They ended up shortening the shaft by removing a section out of the middle of the shaft.

Another weekend home and we put the steering assembly back together and in the car. Pops had manufactured a couple of steering column adjusters out of a design in the MGB Workshop manual and they worked great. We managed to setup the steering without any problems. Now, the engine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats!
sounds like its going to be a beautiful car!!!

Keep up the good work,
Lucas

Rich said...

Good post. I agree sounds like its going to look amazing.