Saturday 22 June 2013

Fibreglass glue

I got the bumpers in and they are ready for install.  I have worked with plenty of fiberglass before but never had to glue fiberglass to metal. The local auto body shop guy sold me the right glue for them and I picked up some clecos from Eastwood.




You can tell by the look on the shop managers face that I am on my own on this one.  Fenders are installed and glued here, now to weld on the spacers between the lights and the bumper.


This is where things got tricky, and the shop managers blood pressure started getting dangerously high. It took a ton of back and forth on these things.  See the trick is that the early model B's had this bit of metal already on the rear quarter panel.  But the rubber bumper models don't. The trouble is that if you put the fiberglass Sebring bumper on a rubber bumper model B you will have this big gap between the fiberglass bumper and the tail light.  Since the fiberglass bumper is not a perfect shape, these little metal bits need to be shaped perfectly to match the light and the bumper.  It took me two full days to get this close and I am still not 100% pleased with the result. If I had the time and experience to do this right the entire Sebring bumper would have been manufactured from steel.




They aren't perfect but after sanding there isn't more than 1/4 inch of filler anywhere on the pieces or bumper.  And we managed to sand it smooth so they look like one piece.


Sunday morning coffee time and the shop manager is resting quietly, he had a good night sleep.  I was up all night trying to get that Sebring bumper installed.  And today's challenge is getting the front dam on.

No comments: